• I.T. for Beginners • Functional Skills maths, English and entry level IT • ITQ level 1 • ITQ level 2 • Workshops • First Aid
IT FOR BEGINNERS – FREE *
Our IT for Beginners course is a concise introductory course in using computers and accessing the internet. Whether it’s your first time on a computer and you would like some support in starting to use the keyboard and mouse, or you would like help with sending emails with attachments and accessing online public services, then this is the course for you. The course takes on average 3 hours and once you have completed the course, you would then have the option to progress onto an accredited IT qualification.
Qualifications available: City and Guilds Entry 3, Level 1 or Level 2 Maths and English and Entry level 3 IT. After completing an initial assessment and diagnostic, a personal learning plan will be created by your tutor to enable you to achieve your goal.
Work can be completed at your own pace but at least 6 hours per week are required.
Listed below are a variety of topics that may form part of your learning plan:
MATHS – FREE *
• Numbers e.g. Multiply, Divide, Ratio
• Measure, Shape and Space e.g. Metric and Imperial, Symmetry
• Data Handling e.g. Averages, Graphs
ENGLISH – FREE *
• Reading e.g. Recognising different text
• Writing e.g. Constructing informal or formal text, Using correct grammar
• Speaking, Listening and Communication e.g. Understanding the main points, Following instructions
IT ENTRY LEVEL 3 – FREE*
The next step up from the beginners course to gain an accredited qualification covering:
• Health and Safety
• Internet Searching
• Word and
An ITQ is an up-to-date, nationally recognised IT user qualification which will enable you to improve your IT skills using Microsoft Office 2013 and 2016 software.
The course is tailored to suit you so you can start anytime you are ready. You can study with us Monday to Friday, mornings and/or afternoons. A minimum of 3 sessions per week is required but you can attend more sessions if you wish. The average completion time for this course is 6 weeks but some people complete in just two weeks!
ITQ is an excellent course if you would like to work towards achieving a level 1 qualification. You can choose which modules you would like to learn based on the areas you need to improve on. A selection of modules offered includes:
• Improving productivity using IT Use IT systems and software efficiently to complete planned tasks
• Internet Safety Learn about internet threats and how to surf safely
• Word Processing Enter, edit and combine text and other information accurately within word processing documents
• Spreadsheets Use a spreadsheet to enter, edit and organise numerical and other data
• PowerPoint Input and combine text and other information within presentation slides
• Using email Use email software tools and techniques to compose and send messages
• Using the Internet Use browser software to navigate web pages
• Database Input data, run queries and create reports
This qualification could help you get a job in areas such as
• Data entry clerk • Receptionist • Business administration assistant • Trainee application support
This qualification enables you to gain a range of skills and knowledge in the use of ICT applications. A Level 2 user can make use of predefined or commonly used IT tools for activities that are at times non-routine or unfamiliar, they will be able to devise solutions to use IT tools to improve productivity.
The course is 90 guided learning hours and consists of 4 units – one mandatory unit and 3 other units of your choice. You can choose which modules you would like to learn based on the areas you need to improve on. A selection of modules offered includes:
This qualification could help you get a job in areas such as:
• Assistant application specialist • Business administrator • Social media/digital marketing assistant • Web development assistant • Software help desk assistant
You can select the days and times to attend. It is recommended that 3 sessions per week would be beneficial but this will be discussed with your tutor at the start of the course and a suitable attendance pattern agreed.
Would you like help with improving your skills and knowledge in preparation for looking for work, going to an interview and starting employment? We offer free short and long courses in many venues across Devon that will give you a qualification.
Here are just a few examples of topics that we cover
• Understanding your customers
• Understanding your customers
• Dealing with your fist day at work
• Setting yourself targets
• Interview techniques